Some recipes and some ramblings

tessi!dad.MENTOR.COM!garryt (Garry Thompson)
Tue, 20 Nov 90 10:28:51 PST
v001.n003.2
  I have owned my bread machine (Welbilt) for about 2 years now and my only
complaint is that it makes round bread. This does make for strange sandwhiches.
The number one factor that seems to infleunce rising and baking is the moisture
content of the bread. I almost always am around when I start the bread to make
sure the moisture content is correct. Humidity and temperature variances really
do make a difference.

  One thing I like to experiment with when I make bread is using different
types of oil. I really like using peanut oil in almost all the breads I make,
except for pizza dough where I use olive oil.  I also use 1/3 to 1/2
whole wheat flour in almost all recipes with no adverse side effects.

  Here are several recipes from the DAK cookbook that I have used and really
liked. I also have my liquid at 100 degrees. What I do is put the measuring
cup in the microwave with the probe and set it to 100. This is easy and takes
out the geuss work.

  I have one question for people out there about toasting the bread. It seems
there is no way not to burn the crust when you toast it. I really like toasted
bread but not real thrilled about burnt crust, any suggestions? Sorry for all
the rambling put I was home sick today and got bored :-)

Peanut Butter Bread

1 package yeast
3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1-1/4 cups very warm water

Oatmeal Bread

1 package yeast
1 cup rolled oats, whirred in blender
3 cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon soft butter
1-1/4 - 1-3/4 cups warm water

Wheat and Honey Bread

1 package yeast
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon water

  I just made this bread using peanut oil instead of butter and it probably
is one of the best breads I've made. It had good flavor and great texture.
It sliced very well and didn't fall apart like the bread can sometimes.

Basic Pizza Dough (From the book Pizza)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm water
1 envelope active dry yeast
3-1/4 cups bread, semolina, or unbleached all-purpose flour
   (I like to use 1/2 bread 1/2 semolina)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil, preferable extra-virgin

  What I like to do is make up the sauce the night before and set the timer
to have the dough ready when I get home after work. Then it's a fairly quick
and simple task to make the pizza for dinner.