recipes by weight

John Whitmore <whit@milton.u.washington.edu>
Thu, 24 Jan 1991 09:02:00 GMT
v001.n019.2
	I've had a Welbilt bread machine for about four months now,
and have gone through about 55 pounds of flour (i.e. a loaf every
two or three days).  I had expected the machine to be a net money
sink (at a loaf a week, for $0.20 instead of $1), but the calculation
has to be amended.
	Since my daily requirements are about 2500 kcal, and at 296
kcal per 100g of bread, I've got 100,000 of the 300,000 calories
I've eaten this last season from bread.  That means the bread machine
has supplanted about 1/3 of my diet (which is ALL more expensive
foods).  If you don't mind stuffing the machine before you go
to sleep, you can save a lot of money baking your own bread.
	The actual price of white bread is around $0.18/loaf;
flour is $3.80/25# and yeast $3.19/2# at the local cost club.
Raisin bread is double the price. Using individual foil-packed
yeast doses would add an extra $0.25 per loaf.

	Okay, I DO like fresh bread (perhaps inordinately so),
and maybe it will get monotonous after a while... but maybe not.
In the meanwhile, here's an easy way to guarantee reliable results
from the machine.  I got a balance (Ohaus Autogram 1000) that
weighs up to 1 kg, with 0.1g accuracy, and have been weighing all
the ingredients.  Careful cooks do this routinely (my sources
assure me), and it's much more reliable than the usual volume
measures.  My balance was $10 at Salvation Army, but new
ones (from Edmund Scientific) cost circa $140.

	In case anyone wants to do the same, here is the Welbilt
set of recipes with gram-equivalents (reprinted without permission
from Welbilt 'The Bread Machine' pamphlet, which seems not to be
copyrighted in any way.)  These recipes are for the glass dome-top
model, like the DAK unit.

 White Bread

  6 g  2.25 tsp yeast            Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
450 g  3 c bread flour                white bread cycle
  7 g  1.5 tsp salt
 13 g  1.5 tbsp sugar
 12 g  1.5 tbsp powdered milk
 15 g  4.5 tsp shortening or butter
300 g  1.5 c less 3 tbsp warm water

 Raisin Bread

  7 g   2.5 tsp yeast            Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
450 g   3 c bread flour                white bread cycle
  7 g   1.5 tsp salt
 26 g   3   tbsp sugar
 12 g   1.5 tbsp powdered milk
  5 g   2 tsp cinnamon
 15 g   4.5 tsp shortening or butter
300 g   1.5 c less 3 Tbsp warm water
     after secondary kneading (1 hr 37 min) when beeper sounds
125 g   0.75 c raisins
     added to dough; bread done 2 hr 45 min later
** original recipe was 3.4g (1.5 tsp) cinnamon and
    85 g (0.5 c) raisins; I insist on extra raisins, and
    Gail(enochson@maven.u.washington.edu) insists on extra cinnamon.

 Wheat Bread

   7 g   2.5 tsp yeast             Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
188 g   2.25 c bread flour             white bread cycle
132 g   0.75 c whole wheat flour
  7 g   1.5 tsp salt
 13 g   1.5 tbsp sugar
 12 g   1.5 tbsp powdered milk
 15 g   4.5 tsp shortening or butter
300 g   1.5 c less 3 tbsp water

 Rye Bread

  7 g   2.5 tsp yeast      Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
188 g   2.25 c bread flour             white bread cycle
115 g   0.75 c medium rye flour
  7 g   1.5 tsp salt
 13 g   1.5 tbsp sugar
 12 g   1.5 tbsp powdered milk
  4 g   1.5 tsp caraway seeds
 15 g   4.5 tsp shortening or butter
300 g   1.5 c less 3 tbsp water

 French Bread

   7 g   2.5 tsp yeast           Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
450 g   3   c bread flour             French bread cycle
  5 g   1 tsp salt
  4 g   1.5 tsp sugar
  5 g   1.5 tsp shortening or butter
335 g   1.5 c water
** originally 7 g (1.5 tsp) salt and 360 g (1.5 + 2 tbsp) water,
 which is excessive (too much water => loaf too dense)

 Sweet Bread

  5.5g   2 tsp yeast        Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
308 g    2 c  plus 1 tbsp bread flour    sweet bread cycle
  3.5g   0.75 tsp salt
 45 g    5    tbsp sugar
 12 g    1.5  tbsp powdered milk
 15 g    1.5  tbsp shortening or butter
167 g    0.75 c plus 2 tbsp water
      1    large egg

 Panettone

  7 g   2.5  tsp yeast        Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
308 g   2 c  plus 1 tbsp bread flour      sweet bread cycle
  3.5g  0.75 tsp salt
 24 g   3    tbsp powdered milk
 45 g   5    tbsp sugar
167 g   0.75 c plus 2 tbsp water
5    tbsp butter
1    medium egg
0.75 tsp vanilla extract
     after 2 hrs, beeper sounds; add
0.5  c raisins, soaked in water or warm water
3    tbsp candied orange peel pieces
		   bread ready 2 hr 45 min later

 Croissants

  7 g   2.5 tsp yeast            Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
450 g   3   c bread flour      French bread MANUAL cycle
  7 g   1.5 tsp salt
 22 g   2.5 tbsp sugar
  5 g   1.5 tsp shortening or butter
280 g   1.25 c water
       after 2 hr 2 min, beeper sounds
       remove dough, flatten and place in freezer (1 hr)
        in a greased pan; roll out the chilled dough, cover
       with butter slices and roll to incorporate
170 g   1.5 sticks chilled butter, thinly sliced
       Chill in freezer for 1 hour
       Fold dough in thirds, roll lightly, and chill
        in refrigerator for 2 hours
       Roll until 1/8" thick; cut into triangles; brush with
       beaten egg
1 large egg, beaten
       and roll from base to tip of triangle; form horn
       shape and let rise covered with a cloth in a warm
       place.  When doubled in size, brush with remaining egg  	      and bake
in preheated oven, until golden brown

 Table Rolls

  6 g   2.25 tsp yeast          Welbilt 'The Bread Machine'
450 g   3 c bread flour         White bread Manual cycle
  7 g   1.5 tsp salt
 13 g   1.5 tbsp sugar
 12 g   1.5 tbsp dried skim milk
 15 g   4.5 tsp shortening or butter
230 g   1 c plus 1/2 tbsp warm water
      1 large egg
	      After 1 hr, 37 min, the machine will beep; remove dough
and form into 12 equal balls; let rise on greased pan for 30 min.
	      Form balls into teardrop shape and roll until 1/8"
thick; roll up strip, starting at wide end.  Let rise 50 min.
	      Brush rolls with beaten egg/water mixture
1 large egg, beaten (for glaze) with water
	      Bake in preheated 375 F oven until golden brown

Happy Baking!
		John Whitmore