Helpful Hints....

Rick Turley <rickt@hpfccg.sde.hp.com>
Fri, 8 Mar 1991 09:02:00 GMT
v002.n003.2
Well, I finally got the first  installment  of 15 recipes  from the Welbilt/

Red Star Recipe  Club.  I don't know how long it will take me to type in all
of the  recipes, but I thought I'd get started.  I've only tried a couple of
these and will comment on my results.  I'd love to hear if others try any of
these and how they fare.

The cards come with a set of helpful hints:

	o A thermometer is a necessary tool to determine the  temperature of
	  liquids  before  pouring into the bread machine pot.  The accuracy
	  achieved  assures  consistent  good  results.  An easy  method  to
	  attain  75-80  degrees  for each of the liquid  ingredients  is to
	  combine  and place them in a microwave  oven.  Use the  "Automatic
	  Defrost" setting.

	o Bread flour is the essential  ingredient.  All-purpose  flour will
	  not  withstand  the actions of a bread  machine.  Bread  flour has
	  potassium  bromate  added  which  strengthens  the  protein in the
	  flour.  The added  cohesiveness  is  necessary  during  the baking
	  process.  It allows for better  gas  retention  thus  producing  a
	  higher volume of the finished bread.

	o When  measuring  the flour, use a scoop to move the flour from the
	  bag into the measuring cup.  Level off with a flat knife.

	o Moisture  levels of flours can vary  depending on the  temperature
	  and  relative  humidity;  flours can gain or lose  moisture to the
	  air.  In humid  weather, the total amount of liquid may need to be
	  decreased.  Then, if the  dough  appears  too dry  after the first
	  five minutes of kneading, additional liquid may gradually be added
	  ...  one tablespoon at a time.

	o White and brown  sugar,  honey and  molasses  may be  interchanged
	  equally.  Since honey and molasses are liquids, decrease the water
	  by the same amount as the honey or molasses added.  The sweeteners
	  have been selected for each of these recipes to bring out the best
	  flavor.  Artificial sweeteners may NOT be used as the yeast cannot
	  react with them.

	o Butter,   margarine,   vegetable   shortening   and   oil  may  be
	  interchanged  equally;  oil may change the texture of the bread if
	  used in place of solid fat.  The appropriate fat has been selected
	  for  each of these  recipes  to  bring  out the best  texture  and
	  flavor.  If  substituting  solid fat with oil, decrease the amount
	  of water by the same amount of oil used.

	o Milk and water may be interchanged equally.  The liquids have been
	  selected  for each of these  recipes  to  develop  the best  crumb
	  structure.

	o Crust is too thick:  For the ABM-100, move the baking control knob
	  closer  to "L"  (light.)  For the  ABM-300/350,  select a  lighter
	  setting.

	o THE TOP IS  CONCAVE:  Be sure the  temperature  of the  liquids is
	  correct.  If the  correct  amount  of salt and  sugar was  used, a
	  small  increase of these two  ingredients  may be a remedy, or you
	  may try reducing the water called for by 1/4 cup.

	o THE BREAD IS TOO MOIST:  Allow the bread to cool  before  slicing.
	  For the ABM-100,  increase the baking  temperature by rotating the
	  baking  control  knob  towards  "D" (dark.)  For the  ABM-300/350,
	  lengthen  the baking time by selecting a darker  setting.

Recipes to follow later!
Rick