Amish Friendship Bread

"Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter (Cindy Smith)" <cms@dragon.com>
Wed, 8 Jan 1992 09:01:00 GMT
v003.n004.1
My sister-in-law gave me a recipe for Amish Friendship Bread along with

a jar-full of the starter mix.  Here is the recipe:

***Do not use metal spoon
***Do not refrigerate dough!!

day 1 -- Get starter and do nothing
day 2 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 3 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 4 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 5 -- Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir
day 6 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 7 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 8 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 9 -- Stir once each day with wooden spoon
day 10 - Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk and stir.
         pour into containers of 1 cup each and give to 3 friends
         with copy of recipe (or 2 friends and keep 1 start for yourself)

To the remainder add:

2/3 cup oil          1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3 eggs               1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour         1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar          2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon

Pour into 2 well greased and sugared loaf pans.  Bake 40 to 50 min.
at 350 degrees.  Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.  The bread
may be frozen for a later date.  (note the starter)

Okay, this is my question:  what's the starter recipe?  Is it a secret?
or is it just 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk?  It sure smells good!
thanks!

Cindy Smith