Re: bread Digest V3 #5

Maurice Weitman <mo@well.sf.ca.us>
Sat, 1 Feb 1992 09:03:00 GMT
v003.n006.3
In bread Digest V3 #5, kenr@storage.tandem.com writes:

> I have a copy of the "Bread Machine Cookbook" and in the introduction
> it refers to three types of oats: rolled oats, oat bran, oat flour.
>
> In some of the recipes (for example Oatmeal Bread on p. 55) the
> ingredient list just says oats 1 1/3 cups.  Does this mean any of
> the three will do?

For oatmeal breads, etc., oats == rolled oats

> For the second question, I just tried to make a loaf of Honey Cornmeal Bread.
> It ended up shaped like
>                  |\       /|
>                  | \     / |
>                  |  \___/  |
>                  |         |
>                  |         |
>                  |_________|
>
> My question is what happened? It looks like it must have rose enough, but then
> fell in the center.  Do I need to add some gluten flour when I make this?  Or
> cut back on some ingredient?

Ken, you've discovered the '90s way to make BatMan Bread. Kids
(or their parents) everywhere will be beating a path to your
mailer to get the recipe.

Actually, it looks to me as though the yeast might have peaked
too soon.  This happens when the liquid is too hot, the rising
temperature is too high, or there's too much sugar (honey)
present.

Maurice

Maurice Weitman  mo@well.sf.ca.us  ..!{hplabs,pacbell,apple,ucbvax}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe  1634 Walnut  Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "Facts are stupid things."  Ronald Wilson Reagan, New Orleans, 1988
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.