Re: BREAD Digest V4 #5

dlou@ece.UCSD.EDU (Dennis Lou)
Fri, 5 Feb 93 16:22:55 PST
v004.n006.2
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 93 23:31:59 CST
>From: hinz@picard.med.ge.com (David Hinz (hinz@picard.med.ge.com))
>Subject: Re: BREAD Digest V4 #4
>
>I've got a DAK machine, and I seem to be having trouble getting the
>bread to rise to the desired hight.  When I first got it, I had several
>loaves which would hit the dome, such as the egg bread and other light,
>fluffy ones.  Now, the same recipes don't rise as far.  I've used the
>redstar packets, Fleischmann's packets, and am now using Redstar in a
>bottle, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
>The biggest reason I'm interested is that I've been trying to make a nut
>bread for a neighbor who gave me a bunch of black walnuts (actually from
>my tree, but he did all the work shelling & so on).  I made a loaf using
>Dak's recipe that's in the small book which comes with the breadmaker,
>but I had a nice pudding pocket in the top, and it didn't even rise to
>half the height of the 'can' inside.
>
>Any suggestions?  Is it a winter thing, a yeast thing, a machine problem,
>or should I be using the sweet bread or french bread settings?  How does
>the 'turbo' setting effect the rising of the bread?

What time of year did you buy your machine (i.e. when was it making
nice high loaves)?  Where are you (geographically) located?

I live in San Diego 3 blocks from the beach and have had a DAK Turbo
since November.  Sometimes the loaves reach the top of the can and
sometimes they are 3/4 the height of the can.  The only thing I can
ascertain is that it is a atmospheric/seasonal thing.

Some things that have helped are to line the top of the machine with
foil, use gluten and use the sweet bread setting.  While these things
have helped me a little, it would seem that something is seriously
wrong with my geographic location since a friend with an identical
unit had no problems inland but had the same problems I had when he
took it to my house.