Bread Machine Yeast

wegeng.henr801c@xerox.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 14:03:06 PST
v004.n011.1
I`m new to the Bread Digest, so my apologies if this has been discussed before.

I`ve got an R2D2 machine, and have been experimenting with using yeast cakes
instead of dried yeast.  So far I`ve been very sucessful using one stardard
size cake per loaf, disolving the yeast in warm water and adding the
yeast/water mixture with the other liquids.  I would be interested in hearing
the results from anyone else who has tried yeast cakes.

Btw, I started experimenting after being unhappy with the strong yeast flavor
that I was getting from dried yeast (both Fleishman`s and Red Star).  I noticed
that store-bought bread doesn`t have such a strong flavor, so it made sense to
try to use the same yeast as commercial bakerys.  Many (though not all) large
supermarkets carry yeast cakes (both Fleischman`s and Red Star).

/Don
wegeng.henr801c@xerox.com