Re: Sourdough

"J. J. Larrea" <jjl@Panix.Com>
Wed, 19 May 1993 03:35:35 -0400 (EDT)
v004.n018.5
Renee Roberts (Renee@cup.portal.com) asks:

> I would like to find a good SOUR sourdough starter, like Columbo
> extra sour bread. Anyone know how to make/buy starter?

In "The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever", Madge Rosenberg says:

    This is an ingredient to keep on hand so you can make sourdough bread
    anytime: Mix 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of water and a pinch of yeast.
    Stir until creamy.  Leave the mixture alone for a week in a large
    glass or plastic container, unrefrigerated.  It is a living culture
    that bubbles and smells weird [sure does! -JJ].  The different strains
    of yeast in the atmosphere work on it.  Sours made from the same
    ingredients vary from place to place because of the ambient conditions.
    No one has made San Francisco sourdough in the Midwest yet, although
    commercial bakeries have tried.

    At least once a week, use your starter or discard 1/2 cup of it, and
    be sure to replenish it with equal amounts of flour and water stirred
    together until they are smooth and creamy.  This keeps the starter
    fresh and active.  After the initial week, you can store the starter
    in the refrigerator, but bring it up to room temperature for baking
    by making the water in the recipe just warmer than body temperature
    and mixing the two together before they go in the bread machine.

A very large number of the recipes in this book use sourdough, but I have
not yet made any of them.  So I'll post a non-sourdough recipe which I
made and found excellent:

    Soutine's Rosemary Wheat Bread  (Soutine's is Madge's bakery)

    Ingredient		Small (1 lb) Loaf	Large (1 1/2 lb) Loaf

    active dry yeast	1 1/2 tsp		2 1/2 tsp
    bread flour		  1/2 cup	          3/4 cup
    whole wheat flour	1 3/4 cup		2 2/3 cup
    wheat bran		2     tbsp		3     tbsp
    dried rosemary  	2     tsp		1     tbsp
    salt		1     tsp		1 1/2 tsp