Cookbook Request/Recipes

Ruth C Perry <perryrc@battelle.org>
Thu, 05 May 1994 11:05:33 -0500 (EST)
v005.n018.4
Text item: Text_1

Hi, I am fairly new to this group, but have really enjoyed the
conversations so far.  My husband gave me a Panasonic SD-BT55P/N for my
birthday two years ago.  It makes one-pound loaf, and has a yeast
dispenser so that I don't have to worry about loading the machine in the
wrong order.  I liked it so much that I gave one to my sister-in-law for
Christmas.  She now makes bread all the time too.  I have never given a
gift that has been so much appreciated and so well used!

One of my hobbies is to collect cookbooks.  After joining this group,
base on the recommendations of some of the contributors of this group, I
looked at those little books by Donna Rathmell German at the bookstore
this past weekend, and bought "The Bread Machine Cookbook V".  I tried
the Blueberry Oatmeal bread right away.  Wow, what a beautiful loaf.
So again last night I tried the Garlic Dill Whole Wheat bread, and ended
up with an "hockey puck".  It just did not rise at all.  However, there
are a lot of recipes in this book I still want to try.

If any of you have favorite cookbooks, maybe you can share them with us.
I hate to buy a book and then find out that it just sits on my shelf...

So far my favorite bread machine cookbooks are:

1.  "Bread Machine Magic" by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway.
    I have a small collection of bread machine cookbooks, but always
    end up making something from this book.  It has all kinds of recipes
    for any occasions.  The Banana Oatmeal bread gets the most repeated
    requests when I made it for friends as gifts.

2.  "The Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints" also by Linda
    Rehberg and Lois Conway.  There are only 30 recipes in this book,
    but it offers a lot of insights in making bread.  My most favorite
    recipe is in this book:  "Lois's Country Crunch Bread".  I make this
    bread to go with a lot of dinners.  It has a wonderful crunchy/chewy
    crust, and the inside is just the right tenderness.  To quote the
    authors:  "Now this is what bread should taste like!"

Thank you for any recommendations you might have.

======================
 Banana Oatmeal Bread
======================

      1-pound loaf                                 1.5-pound loaf
------------------------                      ------------------------
                 1/2 cup      ROLLED OATS     1 cup
                       1          EGG         1
           3 tablespoons      SOUR CREAM      1/4 cup
(for Welbilt/DAK, add                           (for Welbilt/DAK, add
 1 tablespoon water)                              2 tablespoons water)
   1 cup (about 1 large)  SLICED RIPE BANANA  2 cups (about 3 medium)
              1 1/3 cups      BREAD FLOUR     2 cups
                 2/3 cup   WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR  1 cup
            1/2 teaspoon         SALT         1 teaspoon
             2 teaspoons        BUTTER        1 tablespoon
       1 1/2 tablespoons         HONEY        2 tablespoons
             2 teaspoons    NONFAT DRY MILK   1 tablespoon
            1/2 teaspoon       CINNAMON       1/2 teaspoon
            1/4 teaspoon        NUTMEG        1/4 teaspoon
             2 teaspoons   ACTIVE DRY YEAST   2 teaspoons
      (for all machines)                      (for Panasonic/National,
                                               use 4 teaspoons yeast)
Crust: Light
Menu selection: Bake (light)

1.  Place all ingredients in bread pan, select Light Crust setting,
    and press Start.
2.  After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on cake
rack, and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.

=============================
 Lois's Country Crunch Bread
=============================

      1-pound loaf                                 1.5-pound loaf
------------------------                      ------------------------
                 7/8 cup         WATER        1 1/8 cup
(for Welbilt/DAK, add                            (for Welbilt/DAK and
 1 tablespoon more                                   Zojirushi, add 1
 water)                                         tablespoon more water)
                  2 cups      BREAD FLOUR     3 cups
              1 teaspoon         SALT         1 1/2 teaspoons
              1 teaspoon        BUTTER        1/2 tablespoon
              1 teaspoon         SUGAR        1 1/2 teaspoons
         1 1/2 teaspoons   ACTIVE DRY YEAST   2 teaspoons

Crust: Medium
Optional bake cycles:  French Bread, Rapid Bake, Delayed Timer
Note:  In the Zojirushi, the authors had better results when they
baked it on the Regular cycle rather than the French Bread cycle.

1.  Place all ingredients in bread pan and press Start.
2.  After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on
cake rack, and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.

In the book, the authors also included instructions for making the
dough in the machine, and then shape and bake the dough in the oven.
I have always let the machine do the whole job.  It turns out just
fine.

Happy baking!