troublesome banana bread

Iva Maclennan <Iva_Maclennan@rand.org>
Mon, 09 May 94 11:08:27 PDT
v005.n018.8
Last time, Miriam in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., posted the following
troublesome banana bread recipe. She said:

> I tried the following recipe in my bread machine a few days ago and
> got a very dense loaf--not at all what I had expected.  Does anyone
> have experience with this kind of bread?  Perhaps some of you more
> experienced bread bakers would try it and make some suggestions for
> improving its texture.  The taste wasn't bad.  Thanks in advance.

Here's her recipe:

Small loaf (1 lb)    Ingredients                 Lge loaf (1 1/2 lb)

1 1/4 tsp            active dry yeast              2 tsp
2 c                  bread flour                   3 c
2 Tbsp               wheat germ                    3 Tbsp
2 Tbsp               powdered milk                 3 Tbsp
1 Tbsp               sugar                         1 1/2 Tbsp
1 tsp                salt                          1 1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp              nutmeg                        3/4 tsp
1 Tbsp               vegetable oil                 1 1/2 Tbsp
3/4 c                mashed banana                 1 c plus 2 Tbsp
1/2 c                sour cream or plain           3/4 c
                            yogurt
1/4 c                water                         1/4 c plus 1 Tbsp
1/2 c                raisins or chopped nuts       3/4 c

This recipe has TOO MUCH LIQUID! I tried the 1 lb. loaf, and it
mixed up in the machine much more like a batter than a bread--
I had to add an extra 3/4 cup of flour before it formed a ball.

With the extra flour it baked up nicely. The bread was sort of moist
and heavy, very banana-y, not very sweet. Really pretty good.

Next time, however, I think I would cut back the banana for the small
loaf to 1/2 cup, use 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups flour, and perhaps increase
the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
 o            Iva S. Maclennan              +
              iva_maclennan@rand.org        +          understanding."