Any machines have a sourdough cycle?

Mary Beth Lohse <lohse@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Wed, 25 May 1994 14:46:13 -0400 (EDT)
v005.n021.1
In a previous posting, obrien@netcom.com writes:

> I still have an old DAK "R2D2" that works well.  Of course,
> I've probably only averaged two loaves a month in the six years
> or so I've owned it.  But it's not able to give me the cycle
> I'd really like.
>
> I'd like to make sourdough in the machine in one sitting.  I have
> no time for all the hand work of not using a machine.  I'd like a
> cycle just like the 'french' setting I have, _except_ that I want
> to be able to greatly lengthen the rise time.  I'd like to let
> some doughs rise in the machine for up to 24 hours, then go right
> into the bake cycle.
>
> Does anyone know of such a machine?
>
> By the way, I've had several good experiences with the old machine
> and using yeast.  As I understand it, the yeast will kill off the
> sourdough culture, but at least the yeast rises fast enough for
> the machine cycle.  The latest recipe book from DAK has one recipe
> for sourdough, and I simply double the amount of starter called for
> and reduce the flour and water by 'guesstimate'
> About 7 out of 8 of these come out just fine.  But, at least here
> in the SFBay area, they get moldy if not consumed within a week.
> DAK suggests a starter that involves milk, but I stick with my
> GoldRush, or the GoldRush that's been fed mostly rye.
>

> 	Bob O`Bob
> --

I've never heard of a machine that has a sourdough cycle.  I make
sourdough bread in my DAK all the time, using added yeast.  The
commercial yeast guarantees that the bread will rise; the sourdough
mostly adds flavor and maybe a little to the rise.  I don't know what
you mean by "the yeast will kill off the sourdough culture", since
the yeast is added to the other bread ingredients, not to the
culture itself.

This is my favorite sourdough bread reciped for a DAK:

Mary Beth's Sourdough Whole Wheat Bread

Take 1 cup of starter and add 1 cup of flour and 1 cup
of warm water (110 degrees).  Mix well, cover with
plastic and let proof in a warm draft-free area for
6 - 12 hours.  Remove 1 cup of this culture for the
recipe below and store the rest in the refriferator
for next time.

Put ingredients in machine in the order shown.

yeast                 1 1/2 tsp
bread flour           2 cups
whole wheat flour     2 cups
salt                  1 tsp
sugar                 2 tsp
canola oil            2 tbsp
milk (110 degrees)    2/3 cup
starter               1 cup

I have used both the regular white bread cycle and the
sweet cycle with success.

I have found that the sourdough bread recipes in Donna
German's books work well.  (See "The Bread Machine Cookbook"
and "The Bread Machine Cookbook III").  The medium size
recipes make a nice size loaf.  The large size tends to
rise over the pan.

-- Mary Beth