Re: BREAD Digest V5 #27

schapin@mitre.org (Susan Chapin)
Fri, 29 Jul 94 08:15:00 EDT
v005.n029.3

> ) 6) What's the difference between bread and cake? I'd like to make
> )    a lowfat poppyseed bread that's more cake-y. Must I add egg?

To make a bread more cake-y, try using a substantial amount of barley flour
with perhaps some brown rice flour, and omit the wheat.  Barley flour makes
a yeast bread with a very soft, cake-like texture.

Of course you will want to add gluten.  I am allergic to wheat, though not
to gluten.  I have found that when using low-gluten flours if  I add 1/2
cup vital wheat gluten to 2 1/2 cups low-gluten flour I get a fine-textured
loaf.  It does not rise much, but the texture is wonderful!

As a sample, here is my recipe for Raisin-Barley bread (for a Breadman 1
1/2 pound loaf):

Dry group:
        1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
        1/2 cup quinoa flour
        1 cup barley flour
        1 cup brown rice flour
        1 1/2 TB powdered whey

Wet group
        1 cup + 2 TB water
        1 1/2 TB canola oil
        2 TB honey
        1 1/4 tsp salt

Yeast
        1 1/4 tsp

Raisins
        1 small box raisins (2-1/2 oz?)
        2 TB Glenfiddich (yes, single malt scotch, not brandy)

Mix raisins with scotch.  Place wet group in pan,  dry group on top, yeast
on top of that.  Medium wheat cycle (20 minutes knead, 25 minutes first
rise, 50 minutes second rise, bake 55 minutes).   Add the raisins and
scotch after 12 minutes of kneading.  You may need to help the kneading
with a rubber spatula -- depends on your machine and the precise moisture
of your ingredients.  Don't expect much rise;  this bread is fine-textured.

- susan (schapin@mitre.org) (my employer does not support or even know
about the opinions expressed above)