Re: BREAD Digest V5 #39

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
12 Oct 94 09:46:16 -0800
v005.n040.5
 BR> I'm having problems with my Trillium BreadMan bread machine:  the
 BR> bread won't rise!

 BR> I didn't have this problem before, but it's been a few months since I
 BR> made bread regularly.

 BR> I've purchased fresh flour and yeast but this hasn't helped.

 BR> Any suggestions/advice?

Have you proofed the yeast? Even though you just bought it, the yeast may not
be "alive". Try dissolving some in warm (NOT HOT!!!!!!) water and adding a some
flour and sugar. Ot should foam and bubble up within 10 minutes. If it doesn't,
buy some new yeast.

Is the liquid you are using for bread making neither too hot nor too cold? Too
hot kills the yeast, too cold lets it remain dormant.

Are you using bread flour? If not, are you adding enough gluten to make up for
the lack of gluten in a low gluten flour?

If in doubt about things, try making a bread by hand, using the same
ingredients
and proportions, and see if it's the recipe or the machine.

Joel

... SENILE.COM found . . . Out Of Memory . . .