Bread raised with sourdough starter only

esther@rochgte.fidonet.org (Esther Vail)
Tue, 02 May 1995 10:14:52
v006.n019.3
Having raised this question before, I feel entitled to brag--I finally
did it!  After years of occasional attempts with various starters, I
got a nice well-risen loaf out of my original model DAK yesterday.  I
have no idea what caused the success, but I suspect it is that I have
never before run a starter as long as my current one (two years; it's
a mixture of potato water and bread flour *only* in equal proportions
fed with plain water and flour when used), and perhaps it's just now
up to full strength.  I used this recipe:
    3 c. King Arthur white flour
    1 1/2 cup starter
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 tablespoons oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
I had the starter out on top of our hot water heater for about 20
hours before I started the bread.  My starter is quite liquid; your
proportions of flour to starter may well be different (I had a bunch
of flops until I found these proportions worked for me), and you may
need to add water if your starter is thick.  I used the good old
regular cycle.  I bring this all up only for those who may, as I did,
have had the ambition to make a real sour dough bread at least once.