spelt breads

gunterman@ccmailpc.ctron.com
Wed, 03 May 95 11:33:09 EST
v006.n019.9
Well , I could not find totally wheatless recipies but did manage to find two
that had spelt as an ingredient....
I have found that I can substitute Rice Flour for Wheat flour in a lot of cases
and it seems to work "okay" but not great. The loaves do not seem to rise verry
well no matter how much time I give them.
Hope this helps
John
gunterman@ctron.com

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                       Spelt Bread #1 Machine Made

Recipe By     : Deborah Rech
Serving Size  : 14   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread Machine

   1      Tbsp          Wonderslim
   9      Oz            Water
   1      Tsp           Salt
   1      C             Spelt Flour
   2      C             Bread Flour  -- white
   3      Tbsp          Sugar
   1      Tsp           Active Dry Yeast  -- Red Star, if using
                         -- Fleischmann's may
                         -- need more

Original recipe called for 2 T butter or margarine instead of Wonderslim.

I use the standard bread cycle, light crust setting.

This loaf is milder than whole wheat, but has more character than
white bread.  If you choose to use whole wheat flour (which I think
would overwhelm the flavor of the spelt), you would need to add a
little gluten to help the rise -- maybe one rounded tablespoon.

>From: dsr@philabs.Philips.COM (Deborah Rech)

Formatted into MasterCook II by Reggie Dwork  reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                       Spelt Bread #2 Machine Made

Recipe By     : Deborah Rech
Serving Size  : 14   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread Machine

   2      Tbsp          Canola Oil
   4      Oz            Milk
   5      Oz            Water
   3      Tbsp          Molasses
   1      Tsp           Salt
     1/4  C             Rolled Oats
   1      C             Spelt Flour
   2      C             Bread Flour
   1      tsp           Active Dry Yeast  -- Red Star-better rise

I originally had put a little gluten in the above recipe and it came
out a little too light.  This further confirmed my belief that spelt
must have a good gluten content.