        Subject: spelt

        Can anyone supply recipies for wheatless bread...especially, one
containing spelt flour?

I regularly bake wheatless breads -- I am allergic to wheat flour, though
not to gluten.  If you can tolerate spelt flour (BTW, spelt is a variety of
wheat) then my procedure will work for you:  Use almost any recipe where
the taste of spelt is appropriate, substituting 2 1/2 cups spelt flour and
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten for every 3 cups regular wheat, and watch the
beginning of the knead cycle to adjust water/flour as required.

If the bread overrises, use less gluten.  I usually use 1/2 cup gluten, 1
cup kamut flour (kamut is another variety of wheat) and 1 1/2 cups other
flours (barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, potato, oat, ...).  I don't
have any experience with spelt, because I get the same allergic reaction to
it that I do to regular wheat, although I can tolerate kamut just fine.

- susan
(schapin@mitre.org, all above opinions are my own and are not necessarily
known to or agreed to by my employer)