Rye bread recipe

Mads H|jbjerg Toftum <u920424@daimi.aau.dk>
Sun, 23 Jul 1995 18:44:20 +0200 (MET DST)
v006.n030.10
Rye Bread

I (Sourdough)
0.3 liter water
25 gram yeast
1/2 tsp honey
200 gram rye flour (coarse)

Mix and cover with cling film, leave at room temperature 48 hours.

II
0.4 liter water
500 gram rye grains (cracked / cut).
200 gram wheat flour

Mix with sourdough (I),cover with film and leave at room temperature for 24
hours.

III
0.5 - 0.75 liter warm (ca. 32C/90F) water
2 tsp salt
600 gram rye flour (coarse)

Add to II and knead until the dough is smooth. Remove 0.15 liter of the dough
to act as sourdough next time.
Put in a 3 liter tin (Preferably the same shape as a regular toast bread).
Let the bread raise for 2 hours at room temperature.
Brush with water and make holes with a fork.
Bake 90 minutes in a preheated oven.
Freezes well.

NB! Rye bread is regularly eaten in Denmark for lunch, and is used for open
sandwiches, rye bread is rich in fibres and thus much more healthy than
regular bread. A roughly similar version is know in Germany as Schwartzbrot.
To make Danish open sanwiches, slice the bread thinly and cut each slice in
half. Just about anything that could go in a regular sandwich can be used on
top. An example could be: butter the slice of bread, put a small leaf of
lettuce on, put alternate slices of egg and tomato on (3 or 4 of each), put
a little mayo on top and sprinkle with freshly cut chives. Another version
could be a full slice of bread with a hamburger on top and fried onions. In a
near future I'll be typing up a collection of ideas for open sandwiches.