[none]

Katie E Green <kgreen@u.washington.edu> (by way of reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com)
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 00:25:52 -0700
v006.n039.2
(Reggie Dwork))
Subject: Re: pre-1940's GEORGE WA's GINGERBREAD (fwd)
Sender: owner-bread-bakers@lists.best.com

> Look to post recipes that are 50-plus years old.
> Post where they came from ( cookbook's name/date -- grandma, etc. )

  Hi Terry, great idea...I hope you are getting some posts on this.
  I am also posting this for my friends in England and the UK, and
  Naomi,--all those who enjoyed our exchange on British puddings.

  This is a wonderful recipe.  If anybody tries it and thinks they have
  a better one, please let me know.

  Gingerbread goes well back to middle ages and earlier.  Ladies would
  bestow favours of gingerbread, some ornately tooled to look like velvet
  or leather boxes, to knights during tournaments.  They were decorated
  with cloves, gold and silver leaf, and were sometimes even in the
  shape of religious icons.  Gingerbread was sold at faires and gatherings
  like we sell our hotdogs and popcorn of today.  In the netherlands there
  were mansized gingerbread molds.  Gingerbreads can be traced to
  German, Italian, Swiss and Austrian cuisine.  These gingerbreads of
  old were highly decorated, gilded and painted with colored sugars.
  Gingerbread molds are prized by antique collectors.

  In colonial american days, the molds were of wood and recipes were
  considered signature and guarded with pride.  It was a custom to add
  mincemeat or candied fruits to the ginerbread as well.

  The hot coffee added to this recipe is what forms the moist gooey glaze
  which has a hint of a slight crackle to it, as you bite into it.  Its
  heaven when warm.  The recipe is attributed to George Washington's Mother.
  It has been referenced in two old books in my keeping, and also featured
  by Woman's Day.  I am sure this recipe can be traced back to England and
  is dated in the early 1600's.  I am positive it is of british decent.  It
  has been adapted to modern measurements.

  I DON'T add the mincemeat or candied fruit.

                    GEORGE WASHINGTON MOTHER'S GINGERBREAD

      1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted all purpose flour
  1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup butter (2 tbs which is vegetable shortening/Crisco)
    1/2 cup boiling hot strong coffee
    1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup dark molassses
      1 egg, well beaten

  OPTIONAL:    1/3 cup mincemeat or candied orange peel

  Sift dry ingredients together.  Add butter/shortening to boiling
  coffee and stir until dissolved.  Add sugar and molasses to same
  mixture.  Combine with dry ingredients; add beated egg and continue
  to beat until batter is smooth.  (Fold in mincemeat if using.)  Butter
  and lightly flour 9 inch square pan or small loaf pan.  Pour in batter
  and bake in preheated 350F oven for 35 to 40 minutes.  Cut and
  serve warm or with Lemon Sauce or Whipped Cream.