Microwave Ovens

Montgom_N@msa01.brooks.af.mil
Mon, 27 Nov 95 10:05:01 CST
v006.n051.8
Sorry if this thread is off topic and has gotten out of hand, but this is
my
Bailiwick and I actually enjoy it.

[stuff deleted]
>a pot. I'd be interested in hearing more about what you read, though. I
>never have quite trusted microwaves!

I can assure you that microwaves are quite well understood and you have
nothing to worry about.

[stuff deleted]

> however it's bunk.  100% bunk,  though there might be some radioactivity
> retained for a very short time. (like about 1/2 the time it takes you to
open
> the door) by the time you actually get the door open (assuming you did
not
> stop the oven first but just opened the door and let the safety interlock
stop
> it) all radioactivity will be gone.

Nope, no radioactivity involved or created at all by microwaves.

>  One word of caution however...............

[stuff deleted]

>Second.  I have seen one microwave with slots in the cooking enclosure
large
>enough to LOOK THROUGH (along the back/bottom of the case).  I'd avoid
these
>as these slots would easliy let out much of the enegery.  Make sure yours
>has a "leakproof" (To microwave enegry) cooking enclosure.

Let's define "leakproof".  In order for microwaves to escape from a
shielded enclosure
there would have to be an opening with a dimension that is 1/2 wavelength
in size.
Microwave ovens operate at a frequency of 2450 Megahertz (2,450,000,000
oscillations
per second), which corresponds to a wavelength of about 12 centimeters.
Therefore, you
would need an opening of approximately 6 centimeters (2.4 inches) to allow
harmful
microwaves to escape.  Furthermore, federal standards that apply to
microwave manufacturers specify a maximum leakage rate that is extremely
conservative.  Bottom line, unless your microwaveoven is somehow damaged or
you attempt to modify it, you have nothing to fear.

Noel Montgomery, Health Physicist