bulk yeast

amy@best.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 11:18:46 -0900
v006.n055.9
Ephraim Vishniac wrote:

> LoisCon mentioned storing Red Star bulk yeast for a year in the
> freezer. A friend sent me three vacuum-packed one-pound packages of
> Fleischmann's yeast about a year and a half ago, and it's still
> working fine. I keep the unopened packages in the freezer. When I open
> one, I divide it into tight-sealing plastic containers and return all
> but a few weeks' worth to the freezer. It seems to be keeping
> perfectly.

I've had good luck with bulk yeast also. I store a small portion in the
fridge in a tupperware container, and keep the rest in the freezer. Every
couple of months I proof some yeast before using it to make sure it is
still active. My current yeast supply is over a year old now (those
vacuum-pack bags go a long way). Even if you can't use the whole bag before
it loses its strength, at about $2.50/lb at Costco it is still more
economical than purchasing the 3-packet strips.

Amy