Bread Machine Differences

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
27 Dec 95 07:53:43 -0800
v006.n055.11
 ow> From: cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
 ow> Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 09:19:18 -0600 (CST)
 ow> Subject: ??re: adding ingredients in bread machine

 ow> Hi all,
 ow> Although I don't own a bread machine (I use my KitchenAid Proline or
 ow> Cuisinart 14-cup for kneading), I often read the posts about bread
 ow> machines with interest, and sometimes pick up some nice recipes.
 ow> As I was reading the snippet above, I wondered why there would be
 ow> any particular sequence listed in adding ingredients to a bread
 ow> machine?  I understand that perhaps things like raisins would go in
 ow> later, toward the end of the kneading cycle.  Other than keeping the
 ow> salt away from the yeast, why would the initial sequence make any
 ow> difference?  Is there some mechanical architecture to these bread
 ow> machines that mandates it?
 ow> Just wondering,

When making bread by hand, you proof the yeast before adding it to the
liquid ingredients. You also mix the dry ingredients into the liquid
ingredients.

In a bread machine, you do not proof the yeast. You combine the
ingredients and start the machine. There is much greater opportunity for
the salt to adversely affect the yeast under those circumstances.

Joel