??sources for bulk rapid-rise yeast

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 09:09:53 -0600 (CST)
v006.n060.20
Hello all,
  I do a lot of bread making, so my consumption of yeast is rather high.  I
like to use the rapid-rise (such as Fleischmann's RapidRise) yeast, but can
only find that in the little foil envelopes (which are very expensive).  I'd
like to find it in bulk form (e.g., a whole jar of the stuff -- about 4
ounces, I think) but can only find jars of "regular" yeast.  Does anyone
make rapid-rise yeast sold in bulk form???  I'm not too picky about brand
names as long as it works well.  Help!

  Now for a follow-on question:  what is the actual difference between
regular yeast and rapid-rise yeast?  Through my own experiments I have
noticed there is a noticeable difference in rising time, but what do they
actually do to the yeast to cause it to be different?

Joan