freezing dough

bzwax@tiac.net (Rich & Debbie)
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 15:38:37 -0500
v006.n063.5
Kim wrote:
<<After doing this practice for many months I am reading in books that I
am not supposed to freeze my bread dough.  I have been making all of my
bread dough for the week on Saturday, then punching it down, dividing it and
freezing it (I obviously don't own a bread machine).  During the week I pull
out a frozen ball of dough each day around 10 am, let it defrost, shape it
and let it rise again.  It has been working perfectly for me.  Can someone
tell me why you should not do this?  I originally tried it because I had
figured if you could buy frozen bread dough then you ought to be able to
freeze homemade dough. >>

I don't know why this should be a problem. Perhaps it wont' work with some
particular recipes, but if it works for you now, it should continue to I
should think.

Many commercial operations that don't particularly specialize in bread but
want to provide "fresh baked" buy raw, once-risen/punched down, pre-shaped,
frozen loaves by the case. They are defrosted at room temp and once they
have risen on a baking pan sheet or in a bread pan, they are popped in the
oven and baked. Customers usually dont' know that they aren't getting
homemade bread, because it is fresh baked.

Another commercial approach (which I can't see any reason not to do with
yourat home if you want) is to buy "par-baked" breads, bagels and rolls.
They are often purchased frozen. These are baked enough to cook the bread
and kill the  yeast but not browned or crisp. At the time they are served,
they are taken directly from the freezer into a hot oven (400 or 450 deg)
and crisped and browned. Again, the perception is of fresh-baked.

Best-Debbie Bier
Concord, MA