Re: advice needed from the experts here!

Mark_Judman@colpal.com
Wed, 31 Jan 96 13:10:16 EST
v006.n064.2
     Angie,

     I don't have a bread machine.  The following selective answers are
     based on my perspective from making breads strictly by-hand.

     1.  Using minced prunes or baby-food prunes instead of oil in bread.
     I haven't done it but it sounds unappetizing to me unless one wants
     prune-flavored breads.  It may be great as a fat substitute in
     chocolate cake, but for me, for bread, no way!

     But really, there are many wonderful breads, e.g., classic French
     bread and sourdough rye that are made without oil, etc.  Why not just
     stick to those?

     10. Bannetons.  I've never used the real thing, that is, straw baskets
     that leave their pattern on the bread.  How does one clean the things?
     I use mock-bannetons: well-floured paper towels placed inside metal
     mixing bowls.  Cost?  Practically nothing.  It produces a really neat
     rustic look to the loaves with flour on the surface.

     When it's time to bake, I just invert the mock-bannetons onto my
     baking stone in the oven (hot and messy) or better yet, onto my
     floured peel.  And no, it won't kill the loaves unless you
     specifically then punch them down or drop them on the floor or
     something.

     12.  Slashing the tops.  I'd be more afraid of slashing myself.  Use a
     good sharp knife if you've got one or a box-cutter/utility knife.  You
     can also buy real cheaply (in hardware/paint stores) single-edged
     razor blades.  Don't be scared to death of killing the loaf.  You
     won't collapse it.

     Don't be so nervous.  Bread seems to be able to take a fair amount of
     abuse and come out just fine.  I do it as a mental health activity.
     If you want something to worry about try switching to baking pastries.

     Hope this helps,

     Mark Judman     (Mark_Judman@colpal.com)