Hard Bread after 1 hour

wenshiao@singnet.com.sg (Wendy Shiao AC)
Fri, 02 Feb 1996 01:05:49 -0800
v006.n064.4
Hi Reggie,

          Thank you very much for sending me a note personally, and for
the accompanying batch of recipes.

           I tried that recips which I sent to you, using the manual method.
I have no bread machine. It turned out quit OK for someone of my standard
that it looked and tasted like bread.

           But after an hour, it was so hard. That is what normally happens to
my home-baked breads so far. Wonder why.

          I went thro my diskette, and here are more recipes.

Date:    Wed, 19 Jan 94 11:43:00 CST
From:    "Pete Brauer 312/915-6157"  <$W$PR42@LUCCPUA.BITNET>

Great FF Baguette

2 pkg. dry yeast (quick rise)      3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp. sugar                    1 c. unbleached white flour
1/3 c. warm water                  Corn meal
1 tsp salt (more or less, this is optional and does flavor the bread)
1 c. water

Melt the yeast, sugar, 1/3 c. warm water in a bowl and set aside.  Mix
the flours, salt, in a bowl, add the yeast mix, and then the water.
Mix the dough until smooth, about 5 mins.  Let rise covered with a
damp cloth for one hour. Punch down, and divide into two or four
loaves, then slice tops about 2 inch across, 1/4 inch deep.  Place in
cold oven set to 350 for one hour.  For crustier bread, place a pan of
water on the bottom of the stove for 1st 30 minutes, then remove.
Also, you can brush the loaves with a mixture of egg-white and 1/2 c.
water after 50 mins.
kwvegan vegan

Date:    Wed, 30 Mar 94 09:08:52 PST
From:    vmh@IntelliCorp.COM