yeast from King Arthur (and other sources)

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 05:30:44 -0600 (CST)
v006.n065.1
>From: emily@goblin.com (Emily Woudenberg)
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 20:56:54 -0700
>Subject: the elusive flavors of sourdough starters
>
>  I buy my dried yeast in bulk from the KIng Arthur catalog.  They have a
>special one formulated not only for bread-makers, but for sourdough breads
>in particular. But I really can't tell the difference between this one and
>the regular bread-machine dried yeast that they sell.
>By the way, thanks for all the great recipes and cook-book recommendations.
>- --Emily Woudenberg

Hello all,
  I recently posted a question asking about sources for bulk yeast.  I did
find the ones listed in the King Arthur catalog, but I also called the folks
at Fleischmann's since I like their RapidRise product so much.  The very
nice gentleman on the phone told me that yeast labelled "for bread machines"
is essentially the same as the rapid-rise product.  I found this quite
interesting, since I don't have a bread machine and had also wondered how
this yeast was different from anything else.

  So...for those of you searching for rapid-rise types of yeast, the bread
machine yeast will work just as well, apparently.

  Finally, I'd like to hear more from folks who have used the bulk yeast
from King Arthur.  Someone recently posted me a note saying that different
yeasts yield different flavors in the bread, and this seems reasonable based
on what I know about sourdough, for instance.  I'd like to hear from folks
specifically about how the King Arthur yeast products perform and if they
yield any particular flavor?  I want to purchase some of their stuff, but
don't know which one to get.

Thanks very much,
Joan