Re:crispy crust

Kate Kramer <seadog@harborside.com>
Sun, 04 Feb 1996 11:41:10 -0800
v006.n067.12
Ellen O writes:
>   I am experimenting with making what I guess you'd call
>"country loaves" - bread with good crunchy crusts and nice soft insides.  I
use
>the dough setting on my Zo and then bake the bread in the oven.  So far, the
>bread is good but the crust is disappointingly soft.  Any helpful hints for
>getting the crispy crunch?

Ellen, if you put a shallow pan of water in the oven on the shelf under the
bread you will, I think, get the crust you want.  You could also spray the
crust with water a couple of times during the first half hour of baking, but
I get great result with the pan of water, and I don't have to remember to spray.
Kate Kramer
Windward Farm
Running Hounds and Working Terriers
Bandon-by-the-Sea, OR