Portuguese Sweet Bread

bzwax@tiac.net (Rich & Debbie)
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 18:46:08 -0500
v006.n067.21
Hi: just made this today and IT WAS DELIGHTFUL! I'm really glad I didn't
have a recipe for a larger loaf than the 1.5# (mine usually takes a 2#)
because as it was, it rose up to the top and smashed against the
glass...had to cut off the top 1" because it didnt' cook right being up
against the lid.

The flavor is really wonderful...I had never known what made Portuguese
Sweet Bread taste the way it does before making this loaf. The combination
of the lemon and vanilla really tastes different than you would imagine
when added to this bread. Here it is, slightly adapted from a King Arthur's
Flour recipe:

1 cup evaporated skim milk
3 Tbs unsalted butter, but into pieces
2 large eggs
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
5 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs gluten
2 cups whole wheat bread flour
1.75 cups white, all purpose flour
1 tsp King Arthur special instant yeast (formulated for sweet breads)

Combine ingredients and bake on basic white bread setting. Watch it doesn't
rise too far!

Best-Debbie Bier
Concord, MA