Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #62

CPXD31A@prodigy.com (MR IRWIN H FRANZEL)
Mon, 05 Feb 1996 17:45:43 EST
v006.n068.8
1. "??Sources for bulk rapid-rise yeast."  Joan Mathew asks

        We consider bulk packages to be at least one pound. If you have
access to a Sam's Wholesale Club or a Price Club, Red Star Instant Dry
Yeast if available in two one pound packages which are sealed and
connected. I don't know what the current price is but it was very good. We
used it in all our baking at Delta Rehabilitation, Inc., for the first two
years that we ran the Bread Baking program. We had tested Fleischmann's
yeast and found that the Red Star produced much better results in bread
machines.
        At our second Bread Bakers' ReUnion in Tampa, in 1993, Loreli Aguda
insisted that I obtain and evaluate SAF Instant French Yeast. The results
were quite spectacular. This is what we found:
        SAF yeast is made in France and the company motto is, "The French
Yeast that turns your kitchen into a bakery." The aroma is wonderful!
SAF commercial yeast is the best yeast we have ever tested in bread
machines. In addition to producing a wonderful bakery aroma, the SAF
commercial yeast contains dough enhancers, conditioners and emulsifiers.
These are the ingredients that are responsible for making the consistent
breads that bakeries produce.
        5.3 oz packages (150 grams) of the SAF French Instant Yeast is
being sold for $7.00 each, plus S&H.
        The commercial package is 17.5 ozs (500 grams). We have arranged to
make SAF Instant yeast available in the commercial package for our
customers.  We are able to sell this pack, which is over 3 times as large,
for only $7.50, including shipping and handling!
        This yeast has a shelf life of two years! We have developed a
method to extend the life of instant yeast to four years! This method has
been tested on Red Star yeast but we've only been using the SAF for two
years. Nevertheless, there is little doubt that it will work the same with
SAF. Complete use and storage instructions are included with each package.
        You won't be disappointed!

Joan asks a follow up question.
        2. What is the difference between regular yeast and rapid rise
yeast? What do they actually do to the yeast to cause it to be different?
        Yeast is a living organism. Over time, it mutates like other living
organisms. The rapid rise yeasts are the epicureans of the yeast dominions.
Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway have said, "They lead a short life but a
merry one." They eat faster than regular yeasts, they produce carbon
dioxide faster and they lose their vitality more quickly. In early days of
bread making, the mixed flour and water was left in a pan where wild yeast
would come out of the air, settle in the mixture and start a sourdough. One
bread could be very different from another and samples of the sourdough
were saved to be used over and over as sourdough aficionados do today. It
wasn't before Louis Pasteur came on the scene and identified the organisms
of yeast. He also developed techniques for growing pure strains that are
still being used for bread and wine making. In fact, SAF yeast, which is
made by LeSafre yeast company, bought the patents of Pasteur for their own
business activity. SAF is the oldest and largest yeast maker in the world.
        If you have difficulty thinking of regular and instant yeast being
so different, there are two rodents that are very similar but live at
different rates, like the two yeasts. The mouse is a relatively slow living
rodent in contrast to the shrew, which is a very fast living rodent. The
shrew eats almost constantly to support its metabolism and has a short
life. The mouse eats and lives more slowly and has a longer life.
        I don't know whether you appreciate the diversion and analogy or
not. But there is one more thing to say about the instant yeast. SAF and
Red Star Instant, may both be used on the regular cycle and on the quick
cycle in the Zoji S-15A. In our tests, 1/2 tsp SAF yeast per cup flour is
adequate for the regular cycle. 3/4 tsp SAF yeast per cup flour is adequate
for the quick cycle (no other changes are required in the recipes). For Red
Star, use the amount called for in the recipe in either case. Neither of
these yeasts will survive long enough to work on the French Bread cycle of
machines so equipped.

2. "Please, what went wrong? Ellen Rakes asks.
        Oats, depending upon how they are cut, tend to keep dough from
rising. I don't know for sure but I think that oat flakes have edges that
cut through the gas bubbles and cause them to collapse. To fix this and it
does work, add gluten (not high gluten flour) at the rate of 1-1/2 tsp per
cup white flour and 1 Tbs per cup of whole grain flour or oat flakes.
        Someone noted in an earlier post that oats took more time to absorb
liquid. If you are using a Zoji S-15 or S-15A, try going through the first
knead without adding additional flour. During the rest between kneads 1 and
2, look at the dough ball. If it has not completely cleaned up the dough
around the pan, add 1 Tbs flour and watch the start of the 2nd knead. If it
still doesn't clean up all the dough and make a smooth ball, add another
Tbs flour and adjust your recipe. Please take note that different apple
sauces and different dried fruits contain varying amounts of liquid. Stay
with the same source of supply, if you expect your recipes to be consistent.

Happy baking!                           Irwin