Lebanese bread recipe

Crystalle Haynes <crystall@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:40:28 -0800 (PST)
v006.n068.15
Kartini wanted a Lebanese bread recipe.  This was sent to me recently; I
have not tried it.

Khubz
~~~~~

1 package or cake of yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
6 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups lukewarm water
1/3 cup milk

dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. let stand 5-10 mins.
place flour and salt in large bowl making a depression in
 the center.Combine milk, remaining water and dissolved yeast;pour
into depression. Begin mixingflour with liquid making sure
all batter on sides of bowl is worked into dough.
Knead until a smooth dough results and the sides of the bowl
is clean. (hands are occasionally dipped into more water while
kneading dough to give a smooth, elastic finish)

Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size
(2-4 hours). Grab orange size balls from the edge of dough
and smooth balls. Cover and let rise again on cloth for 30
mins. form into 1/4" thick circles. cover and let rise again on cloth for 30
mins.

 Heat oven to 475degrees f. Place dough directly on racks in oven.
As soon as the dough rises into a mound, 2-5 minutes, place under
broiler for a few second until lightly browned. cool. this freezes
well. Yeilds 7-9 loaves.
NOTE: many elegant recipes are made with this recipe.

     PS, the name of this bread is Khubz (Arabi

Crystalle & the Kanga-Man
crystall@po.eecs.berkeley.edu

Berkeley, California (USA)