Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #64

jfreeman@trumpet.aix.calpoly.edu
Thu, 08 Feb 1996 10:45:08 -0800
v006.n069.2
Re: a good Cuisinart bread recipe

Since I never measure anything, this may require some experimentation,
but as another poster said, just go for it . . . bread is very
forgiving.

Put about 3 cups of flour in the bowl of the Cuisinart, add about 2 T
of sugar, 1 1/2 t. of salt, and (over the sugar, not the salt) sprinkle
about 1 small coffee scoop of yeast (probably about 2 T). If you use no
oil or want a fat-free loaf, close the Cuisinart lid at this point. If
you'd like a loaf that will last a little longer, add about a T of oil.
Then close the lid and have about 1 1/2 cups of water handy in a
measuring cup or a vessel with a good thin pouring spout. Start the
Cuisinart and slowly add in the water in a thin stream until the dough
forms a ball and starts to slam around the bowl. If it is too thin, the
dough will work up under the shaft (I always use the steel blade and NOT
the plastic one), so watch what is going on inside. Also, do not use
warm water, since working the bread in the machine will warm up the
whole dough and you can kill the yeast if it gets too hot. If you start
getting the dough too wet, stop and add another T or two of flour and then
start the machine again.

Anyway, after you have a rather soft, but not sticky dough running around
the machine, let the machine run for about 30 or 40 seconds. Feel of the
bowl with your hand to be sure that it is not too hot in there. Then
just turn off the machine and wait until the dough rises up to the top
of the bowl. Turn out and form into a loaf and put in a greased loaf
pan or finish a little more with your hand kneading and then put into
any shape you want (even bagels or baguettes). Bake and enjoy. About
400 degrees until golden brown. I always cool on a rack so that it
doesn't sweat.

I got a similar version of this recipe at my Cuisinart class and use
nothing else for my white breads. I use my Kitchen Aid for my ryes
and pumpernickels, since they need to be much wetter to rise well when
I make

HJF in SLO
(Jo Anne)