elf: Lefse

ellen@brakes.elekta.com
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 23:49:43 -0400
v006.n078.5
Here is one lefse recipe from James Beard.  Do read the quote from his
book which states that there are many different versions of this bread, so
this may or may not be what your Grandmother made. But I do I hope it is
close.

As this bread only contains 3 1/2 cups flour,  the dough could be mixed in
an automatic bread machine on the "dough" cycle and then taken out and
rolled, cut, and cooked. Hmmm, I may just have to try this...

Enjoy!
Ellen

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                                  Lefse

Recipe By     : Beard on Bread, James Beard  (pp. 171-172)
Categories    : Bread Mailing List               Breads

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1      cup           sour milk -- or buttermilk
     1/4  cup           sugar
   6      tablespoons   corn syrup
     1/2  teaspoon      baking soda
     1/8  teaspoon      cardamom
   3 1/2  cups          all-purpose flour

Combine the ingredients and work the mixture with the hands, or in an
electric mixer with a dough hook, to make a soft, pliable dough.  Divide
the dough into two pieces and roll each piece about 1/8 inch thick into a
square, oblong, or circle.  Cut into squares or circles with a 4-6 inch
cutter.  Bake on a lightly floured griddle, over quite low heat, 12-15
minutes one each side.  The lefse should color very slightly.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 2134 Calories; 4g Fat (2% calories from fat); 45g Protein;
478g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 787mg Sodium

NOTES : "Lefse is a rather unusual flatbread of Scandinavian origin, and
there are many different recipes for it. It can be eaten warm or cold.
When cold, it grows quite firm and crisp, but it is traditionally dipped
lightly into water and softened before being rolled with a filling or
simply spread with butter. When it is eaten warm, it should be taken from
the griddle, folded into a napkin, and served with butter, cheeses,
preserves, or other fillings.  In either case, it is easy to prepare and
delightful to eat."

If it is not to be eaten warm, lefse should be stored in a tin or a box,
where it will become crisp.
[James Beard]

- --
Ellen C.