Perfect WW Bread

Pat Hewitt <hewitt@sequent.com>
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 09:13:45 -0800 (PST)
v006.n079.18
My apologies for taking so long to get this information posted.  But here
is the recipe for the  "perfect" whole wheat bread I was bragging about
a couple weeks ago.

This is really a very basic recipe - and since I have made ww bread for so
many years using many different dough enhancers, etc., I can only conclude
that what makes this recipe so consistently great, is the particular
wheat and perhaps the brand of yeast.

I grind my own wheat which is Hard White Spring Wheat from Montana and I
use Fermipan Yeast.  When I got this recipe from an acquaintance last year
I asked her what her brands she used of everything in the recipe and this
is exactly what I am sharing with you.  It is a lighter colored wheat
bread and has a wonderful flavor that does not leave a bitter sort of
aftertaste that I have experienced with my previous brands of wheat.

I grind up 15-16 cups of flour first.  Then I pour into my Kitchen Aid
mixing bowl:

	5 cups hot (95-105 degrees) water
	1/2 cup honey (any brand will work)
	2 Tblsp Fermipan Yeast
	  (If using another brand, you might try 2 1/2 - 3 Tblsp)

  Let this sit for a few minutes to "proof" - it will begin to "grow"
and will look bubbly and foamy.

Add.....5 cups of the whole wheat flour and mix for 1 minute.

Add.....1/3 cup oil (any good vegetable oil)
	1 Tblsp salt
	Mix together another 1 minute

Add.....7-9 cups of flour, until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.

Knead and rise as usualy for any basic bread dough.

This will make 3 very large loaves or 4-5 smaller pan size loaves or
it is fun to make 12 of the very small loaves (maybe 2 1/2 x 3" pans)

Now the sources:  I buy the Fermipan yeast from the K-Tech stores when
I am visiting my kids in Utah.  There is a K-Tech store in Linden and
one in Orem, and I am sure there are others around Salt Lake City.
Here is the address off of the Fermipan package that I just opened:

	Food Ingredients, Inc.
	King of Prussia, PA 19406
	1-800-662-GIST

The Hard White Spring Wheat I also have purchased at the K-Tech Store,
but they gave me the phone number of the farm in Montana that they
purchase from so that I could call and get the name of distributors
in my area (Portland, Oregon).  So here is that phone number:

	Wheat Montana
	1-800-535-2798
        (These people were very helpful)

Hope your results from this information is as successful as mine.  I
will be glad to help anyone further if needed.

Bon Appetit!
Pat Hewitt
hewitt@sequent.com
Sequent Computer Systems Inc.