[none]

Bluemoon <bluemoon@whitemtns.com>
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:50:54 -0800
v006.n080.14
My mother was a southern cook and made the most delicious cornbread.  Part
of the secret is baking it in a cast iron skillet.

Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk, soured by adding a teaspoon of cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Put oil into cast iron skillet and put in oven
while you mix all of the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Add
enough milk to the batter until it is the consistency of pancake batter,
which is thinner than most people make it.  Stir only until mixed, then
remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and pour the oil into your
batter. ( Some of it will stay in the pan which is okay as it will make the
crust very brown and crisp)  Mix the oil in lightly then pour the batter
into the hot skillet and return to the oven.  Bake 25-30 minutes.
Quote for the day:
"Angels are the bright lights in the midst of our lives."