Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #80

sherae@zeta.org.au (Sheri McRae)
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 15:53:57 +1100
v006.n082.11
>From: Rose <rmsy@gworld.net>
>Date: Mon, 04 Mar 1996 12:08:09 -0800
>Subject: Amount of gluten to flour
>
>I got some pure gluten and I don't know how to use it for bread making, Can
>someone please tell me what is the ratio of gluten to plain flour and bread
>flour for making nice soft bread.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Please e-mail to rmsy@gworld.net
>
>Rose

Rose,  since we don't have bread flour in Australia I always use gluten.
It's also cheaper than buying bread flour.  In addition, I don't have to
keep regular flour and bread flour in the house.  So gluten has much to
recommend it.  You'll see many different ratios of gluten to flour and I
figure that means you don't have to be too finicky about the amount.  As a
guide, use 1 1/2 tsp. gluten to each cup flour.  I don't measure, just pour
some into my hand.  "Yep, that lump looks like 3 tsp. for my 2 cups flour."

You don't need to add gluten to bread flour; it's already there.

Cheers,  Sheri

    Sheri McRae                        sherae@zeta.org.au
 It's not listed in the Bible, but my spiritual gift, my specific calling
from God, is to be a television talk-show host.
   -  James Bakker, television evangelist