onion pizza

jguevara@spin.com.mx (Jenka Guevara)
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 22:29:48 -0600 (CST)
v006.n084.5
>From fatfree i obtained the following recipe:

Onion Marmalade

Recipe By     : Julee Rosso's Great Good Food
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Low-Fat                          Pizza
                Vegetables

- - --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   2      tablespoons   favorite broth
  12      cups          yellow onions -- thinly sliced
     1/4  cup           balsamic vinegar

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the broth.
Add the onion, cover, and cook until translucent and very
soft, about 45 minutes.
Uncover, lower the heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring
periodically.  Add the vinegar and cook until the onion is
caramelized, about 1 hour longer.  Use immediately, or
store in a glass or plastic container in the refrigerator
for up to 10 days.
Makes 2 cups.
Use as a pizza topping.
Per 2 T. serving:  41 calories, .2 g fat, 3.4%CFF.

Sorry for the name of the person who send it.
She commented she had used it for pizza, and included the pizza recipe, I
did not save that.
Well, today I made 1/2 of my normal whole wheat bread recipe, and while it
was rising, I started a sort of above recipe.
I put apple juice in a pan, and then added 16 normal sliced onions.  I did
not know what yellow onions were.
After a while, long while, when they became transparent I added some lemon
juice, then I let them cook and cook for over an hour.
I did not know what it meant that they would caramelize, (help accepted
here) so when there was no more liquid I put them over my dough, which I had
stretched out and had left about 1/2 hour to rise again, already stretched.
Then I put half of the onions on the dough and put it for 20 mins in a very
hot oven, then 10 mins in the broiler (that thing at the bottom of the oven
that makes things nice and if not careful burns them!)

The result was delicious.
I will make the other half of onions in a pizza next week.
We had that with a cucumber salad, it was great.

Jenka
         Jenka Guevara
   American School Foundation
          Mexico City