Re: Need pointer on whole-wheat bread

judi@abs.net (Judi Hammett)
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:06:34 -0500
v006.n085.14
>This is my first post here, so here goes.  I have been reading since
>Digest #60 or so, and have been looking for pointers on how to make
>a good loaf of whole wheat bread.

Hi, I'm fairly new here, and thought it was time to come out of lurk mode!
I've had great success making a whole wheat bread based on a recipe from
"Whole Foods for the Whole Family." Here's how I make it:

2 T. yeast
2 c. warm water
2-4 T. honey, molasses, or sugar
2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
3 eggs
6-8 c. whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 t. honey. After it bubbles up, add
remaining honey, salt, oil, and 3 c. of flour. Beat by hand 200 strokes
(this strengthens the gluten and makes the bread rise more easily). Add 1
more cup of flour and beat briefly.

Now you have the "sponge." Cover bowl and let sponge rise for about an hour
until doubled in bulk(I put the bowl on an old heating pad set on low, and
this works great).

Add eggs and remaining flour until a soft dough results. Knead for about
10-15 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl, cover, and let rise until
doubled in bulk.
Punch down the dough, shape into two loaves, and put in two loaf pans. Let
rise until doubled, then bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.

If you try this, let me know how it works.

Judi Hammett
Baltimore, Maryland

judi@abs.net