Hot Cross Buns

Cate Williams <catew@wittnet.com>
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:42:17 -0500
v006.n086.12
I just typed this recipe in for those who were looking for it - it appeared
in the coupon section of our paper last Sunday.  I haven't tried it yet, but
it looks good!

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                              Hot Cross Buns

Recipe By     : Fleischmann's Yeast
Categories    :
- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
     2/3  cup           milk
   1      large         egg
   3      tablespoons   butter or margarine -- cut up
     3/4  teaspoon      salt
   2 1/3  cups          bread flour
   2      tablespoons   sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      lemon peel -- finely grated
     1/8  teaspoon      ground nutmeg
   1 1/2  teaspoons     yeast
     1/3  cup           dried currants or raisins
   3      tablespoons   dried or candied pineapple -- finely chopped
   1      large         egg white

Directions for Bread Machine:
Add milk, egg, butter, salt, bread flour, sugar, lemon peel, nutmeg and
yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
Select dough cycle.  When cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a
lightly floured surface; knead in fruits and enough flour to make dough easy
to handle.  Cover; let rest 10 minutes.  Divide dough into 9 pieces; form
each into ball.  Place on large greased baking sheet.  Cover; let rise in
warm, draft-free place until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes.  With sharp knife,
cut shallow cross in top of each bun.  Lightly beat egg white and 1
tablespoon water; brush tops.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or
until done.  Remove to wire rack; cool.  Drizzle with icing.

ICING: Mix 1/2 cup sifted powdered suagr, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1
to 3 tablespoons milk until smooth.