Recipe for Hot Cross Buns

Bluemoon <bluemoon@whitemtns.com>
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:47:05 -0800
v006.n087.8
      I made these just yesterday and they turned out great.  I adapted the
original recipe to use less fat and sugar.
              *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                              Hot Cross Buns

Recipe By     : Adapted from "The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook"
Serving Size  : 16   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breadmaker

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
     3/4  cup          lowfat  buttermilk
   3      tablespoons   sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
     1/4  teaspoon      nutmeg
     1/4  teaspoon      ground cloves
     1/4  teaspoon      cinnamon
   2      each          egg whites
     1/4  cup           Egg Beaters --   (Original recipe called for 2 eggs)
   1      tablespoon    Lighter Bake, a substitute for butter (orig: 2 T butter)
   1 3/4  cups          bread flour
   1 1/2  cups          whole-wheat flour
   2      teaspoons     yeast
     1/3  cup           raisins
   1      each          egg white -- beaten with 1 teas
                         -- water for wash

Put all ingredients in bread pan except eggwhite wash according to manf.
directions.  Add raisins at the end of first kneading.  Watch for moisture
of dough ball, I had to add almost 1/4 cup more flour.  I think it depends
on which eggs etc. you use.  Set bread machine to dough setting.  Remove
dough and let rest 5 minutes.  On lightly floured surface cut the dough into
four equal pieces and then cut each one of those pieces into 4 more equal
pieces.  Shape each piece into a smooth ball.  Place buns on large cookie
sheet sprayed with Pam with at least an inch between buns.  Cover with a
dish cloth and let rise until almost doubled about 45-50 minutes.  Prepare
frosting if desired out of 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/2 teas. vanilla
extract, and 3 T. milk.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and right beofre baking
brush each bun with the eggwhite wash and cut a small x on the top with a
sharp knife.  Bake 18-20  minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and
cool on wire racks.  When cool, pipe a frosting cross on top of each bun.
Makes 16 buns.