[none]

mpayne@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Michelle Payne)
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 20:28:01 -0330
v006.n088.2
Hi, I just started subscribing and I noticed that a lot of the
recipes are for bread machines. I tried converting because I don't have a
machine but the bread was way too dry. Does anyone know how to convert
recipes for bread machines to just plain old regular bread making? If so I
would appreciate some help. My email address is mpayne@morgan.ucs.mun.ca.
        I have a really great multigrain bread recipe that's really easy to
make. It's made using a sponge.

        Easy Multigrain Bread

1 pkg. active dry yeast (I use bulk and use two scant tablespoons)
1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons margarine, softened (don't use diet margarine there's too much
water in it)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup uncooked mixed grain hot cereal (dry) (I use cornmeal and oatmeal,
1/4  cup of each and sometimes replace some of the all purpose flour with
more cereal.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add all purpose flour, honey,
margarine and salt. Beat on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (or beat 300
vigourous strokes by hand). Stir in whole wheat flour and cereal until well
blended. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place
40-45 minutes or unitl almost double.

Spray loaf pan, 9x5x3 or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, with nonstick cooking
spray. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Spread batter in pan.
Smooth and pat batter, using floured hand. Cover and let rise in warm place
about 30 minutes or until double. (Batter is ready if indentation remains
when touched with floured finger).

Heat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until loaf
sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaf from pan; cool on wire rack.

This recipe came from:

Betty Crocker's Low-Fat, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook, published by Prentice
Hall Press, New York in 1991. The recipe is on page 149.

Michelle Payne
Michelle
Memorial University