Swedish Limpa

mvinqvist@mta.ca (Mindy)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 09:16:12 -0400
v006.n088.8
Hi all,
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought I remembered somebody asking for a
swedish limpa recipe, so here goes.  Oh, I should say first that I am
writing the instructions for hand baking, but this recipe is also easily
adapted to the bread machine - you'll see, just read it, it's simple...

Swedish Limpa
3/4 c water
1/3 c brown sugar
2 tbsp veg oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp grated orange rind
        Combine these ingredients and heat to lukewarm
        Meanwhile, dissolve
1 tsp sugar in
1/2 c lukewarm water
        sprinkle in
1 pkg active dry yeast
        Let stand 10 min, keeping at a temp of about 80 degrees, then stir
briskly with a fork.
        Add softened yeast to the lukewarm liquid mixture.
        Stir in
1 c white flour
1 1/4 c light rye flour
        Beat well, then add another
1 to 1 1/2 c white flour
        Work in the last of the flour with your hands.  Turn onto a floured
board and knead for 5 minutes.  Form dough into a ball and place ina greased
bowl, grease the top slightly.  Cover and let rise until 1 1/2 times the
original size (about 1 1/4 hour at 80 degrees).  Punch down and form into a
smooth ball.  Cover it and let it rest 10 min.  Shape into a cylinder which
is about 14 inches long, tapering the ends slightly.  Place on a greased
baking sheet and slash 4 or 5 times across the top.  Grease slightly.  Cover
and let rise until almost doubled in bulk (about 45 min at 80 degrees).
Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30-35 min.  Eat and enjoy.

Mindy Vinqvist
mvinqvist@mta.ca