Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #87

bj29@mirage.skypoint.com (bjjan)
Sat, 30 Mar 96 06:49 CST
v096.n002.6
>From: Dave Austin <daustin@smart.net>
>what malt syrup is and where it can be purchased.  and also about how much
>it >might cost. Do you also know how it is purchased--that is the
>quantity??
My first choice to purchase any baking ingredients is my natural food
store. It eliminates the shipping expense, but if you don't have one
nearby, then just call an order a King Arthur Catalog. 1-800-827-6836. They
have anything you could possible want for bread making.

According to King Arthur catalog, "Malt, an all-natural product improves
the flavor and appearance of your loaf, gives it a finer texture and helps
it stay fresh longer. Replace the Tbls. of sweetener in your recipe with
1/2 to 1 Teaspoon of Diastatic Malt Powder, or a Tbls. of organic malt
syrup; it's more versatile, as well as more nutritious, than straight
sugar." 1# Malt Powder is $4.95 and 16-oz Malt Syrup is also $4.95 plus S&H
-  Bev in Mn