> From: rKimble@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Reeva Kimble)
> Subject: Babka (coffee cake)
> Date: Sun, 26 May 1996 13:23:13 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Does anyone have a recipe for Babka?
>
> According to Mollie Katzen in her book Still Life With Menu, Babka is an
> East European-style coffee cake, usually made with yeasted dough and a
> semisweet filling. It can be considered a cakey bread or a bready cake.
>
> She has a recipe for a Chocolate Babka which she says has a filling like a
> working person=B9s version of the classic petit pan au chocolat.
>
> I am trying to adapted her recipe to make a bread machine dough Babka with
> a cinnamon-nut-sugar filling. You could save me the trial and error if you
> have a proper recipe.
>
> Thanks,
> Reeva Kimble
> Eugene, Oregon

Reeva, and everyone else reading,

This isn't ABM-specific, but it's a good recipe.  I'm sorry I don't have
exactly what you are looking for, but I hope you enjoy it.

TAMARA

CHOCOLATE SWIRL BABKA
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105-115 deg.)
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup warm milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp butter, softened
4-1/2 - 5 cups flour
3 eggs
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup walnuts

Filling
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
Dir.: Blend until there are no lumps.

Streusel Topping
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup flour
Dir.: Combine first 2 ingredients until smooth.  Add sugar & blend.
 Add flour and mix until crumbly.

Sprinkle yeast over warm water, add 1 tsp sugar.  Let stand 5 minutes.
Add sugar, milk, salt, vanilla, and butter.  Add 2-1/2 cups flour and
mix to blend.  Beat on medium until smooth and elastic (about 5 min.).

Separate 1 egg and save white for the glaze.  Beat yolk and whole eggs
one at a time into mixture.  Add 1-1/2 cups more flour.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured board or cloth.  Knead 10-15 min.
until small bubbles appear in dough.  Continue adding small amounts
of flour as is necessary.

Turn dough into greased bowl and cover.  Let rise until doubled,
about 30-45 minutes.

Punch down dough and invert bowl over dough.  Let rest 10 minutes.
Divide dough in half and roll out into 2 10x20" rectangles.  Brush
1/2 of melted butter over each rectangle, leaving 1/2" margin around
all edges.  Sprinkle 1/2 of cocoa mixture over each, then sprinkle
nuts 1/2 over each.

Beginning with long sides, roll jellyroll fashion and pinch to seal.
Place zig-zag to fit in 4-1/2 x 8-1/2" loaf pans.  Let rise to doubled
about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350.  Beat egg white with 1 tsp water.  Brush dough
with glaze and sprinkle topping over dough.

Bake 30-35 minutes.  Carefully remove from pans and let cool on rack.