Recipe: another babka

LIR119@delphi.com
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:03:48 -0500 (EST)
v096.n021.15
____MESSAGE HEADER INFORMATION DO NOT WRITE ABOVE THIS LINE______
For the requestor,
Here is another babka recipe; my mothers files, and quite old.Old but
delicious nevertheless.
It requires a 9 inch turks head mold , 9 inch bundt or tube pan. the turks
head mold pan make this even more special in presentation. The turks pan can
be bought in kitchen or specialty bakeware stores.Another name for the turks
head pan is a Gugel or Kugelhopf pan ( fluted bundt pan so to speak )

Even though this may be more cakelike I file all my sweet dough recipes
under breads ( sweet yeast doughs ). Sometimes
there is a fine line between coffee breads and coffee cakes.

BEAUTIFUL BABKA WITH RUM SAUCE
1/4 cup milk
1 pkt dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup margarine, softened
3 eggs
2 1/3 cup sifted flour
1/4 cup mixed diced candied fruit
1/4 cup dark raisins
Rum Sauce:
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp rum extract
or rum to taste

Make sure all ingredients are room temperature. Heat milk in a small
saucepan until hot and cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle yeast over water in large
bowl and stir to dissolve. Add the milk, 1/4 cup sugar, softened nmargarine,
eggs and flour. Beat with electric mixture on low speed until smooth and
blended. ( nothing to knead ). Cover bowel with a towel and let mixture rise
in a warm place till bubbly, about one hour. Grease and flour mold pan. Stir
candied fruit and raisins into dough. Turn into prepared mold. Cover and let
dough rise to almost top of pan about 1 hour or so. Bake in a preheated 350
oven about 30 to 40 minutes or tested done and golden. while cake is baking
make rum sauce. Heat water to a boil and stir in sugar to dissolve. Remove
from heat and add extract or some rum to taste.
Immediately upon removing cake from oven, prick top all over with fork and
spoon on rum sauce. Let cake stay in pan and cool on rack for 1 hour.
Carefully remove and serve cake warm.

Note 1: for candied fruit haters, use instead some candied cherries or well
drained and chopped marachino cherries.
Note 2: these types of yeast recipes tend to stale quickly- best eaten
fresh! If not eaten in a  day or so  freeze uneaten portions .

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;36;41mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered