Re: Digest bread-bakers.v096.n023

kmalley@cris.com
Sun, 30 Jun 1996 11:54:42 GMT
v096.n024.10

>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v096.n023.1 ---------------
>
>From: philmguy@wwa.com
>Subject: Yeast in bulk
>Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 01:20:09 -0700
>
>I recently went to Sam's Club to buy Red Star yeast in bulk. Instead of
>getting a one-pound package for $3.50, though, I got 2 one-pound
>packages for that price. Can these vacuum-sealed bricks be frozen and, if
>so, for how long. I recall reading here previously mention of freezing
>after opening the package.
>
>Thanks
>Phil
>Chicago

I buy yeast at Sam's also.  I've stored the unopened vacuum bags in
the freezer for 9 - 10 months without a problem.  I've also stored
opened bags in the freezer, but I squeeze out as much air as possible
and fold the top over a couple of times.  Then I secure the top with
one of those big "bulldog" clips you can get in stationary stores.

On the advice of a neighbor who is a baker, always remove yeast from
the freezer to the refrigerator, and leave it there for 24 - 36 hours.
Don't take it directly from freezer to room temp.

I don't know the reason for this -- I just take it on faith that he
knows what he's talking about.

Good luck!!

Kail Malley
Aurora IL