[no subject]

sue@interport.net (Curly Sue)
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:44:07 -0400 (EDT)
v096.n025.4
>--------------- MESSAGE bread-bakers.v096.n024.3 ---------------
>
>From: CHALON@VENUS.TWU.EDU (Grace Chalon)
>Subject: Summer humidity

>Every Summer, I have to give up using my bread machine (Welbilt) because the
>loaves do not rise at all.  The dough looks fine, but I get a two- or
>three-inch high loaf.  My neighbor (Toastmaster) said hers works well--not
>great since the top falls--because her air conditioner runs overtime all the
>time.  On Sunday, I tried turning up the AC and sending the ceiling fans
>whizzing... but the results were the same.
>
>The yeast is fresh... the ball of dough looks good... just no rising in Summer.

I have never had a problem of dough not rising at all in the summer (I have
a Toastmaster Breadbox) but a friend of mine nearby (who also has a
Toastmaster) complains about this.

On the other hand, I did have the experience your neighbor has with bread
over-proofing, but if I cut back on the liquid by a tablespoon or so to
account for the extra moisture in the air the problem was solved.
Alternatively she can watch the dough and see if it gets stickier as the
kneading progresses, and add a bit of flour later.

Sue
Girls just want to have fun!
As you climb up the ladder of success,
Don't let the boys look up your dress.