Cinnamon Nut Babka

rKimble@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Reeva Kimble)
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 13:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
v096.n027.7
Second try......

Several weeks ago, I sent in this recipe to the list, along with thanks to
all of you who sent me recipes for and suggestions about making Babka. I
used everything I learned and came up with the following recipe. It tastes
wonderful and works every time

Cinnamon Nut Babka

1 1/4 C milk
1 egg
4 T butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
6 T sugar
1 t salt
4 C unbleached white flour (NOT bread flour)
2 1/2 t yeast

1/2 C chopped walnuts
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 T cinnamon

     Put first seven items in bread machine, set on dough.
     Generously grease the bottom, middle and sides of a standard-sized
tube or bundt pan. (A ten inch round pan with high sides will work.)
Sprinkle some of the cinnamon/sugar/nut mixture on bottom and sides.
     When the dough is kneaded and has risen (2 hrs.) remove and roll into
a large oval, about 9-10 inces wide and 16-17 inhes long. Sprinkle with the
rest of the cinnamon/sugar/nut mixture, leaving a 1/2inch rim around the
outer edge. Roll the dough up tightly along the long edge, pinching the
edges to seal them. Carefully lift and ease into the pan, making as even a
circle as possible. Pat it firmly into place and seal the two ends
togeather with a little water and a good pinch.
     Let rise for 45 minutes or more at room temperature.
     Preheat oven to 375F. Bake for 45 minutes, or until it gives off a
hollow sound when thumped. It should be medium brown on top.
     Remove the babka from the pan and invert on a plate, so the
cinnamon/sugar/nut coating is on top. Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes
before slicing. Yield 1 large coffee cake ring.

This is an Eastern European-style, not too sweet, coffee cake. It can be
considered a cakey bread or a bready cake. It keeps well. You can freeze
chunks or individually wrapped slices.

Once the dough is in the tube pan, it can be refrigerated until baking ime.
Store for a day or two, wrapped airtight in a large plastic bag. it can go
directly into a hot oven from the refrigerator.