To Meryl, Ron and Larry

Irwin@prodigy.com (MR IRWIN H FRANZEL)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:02:23, -0500
v096.n027.13
Meryl K. Evans reported a failure in her Zoji! English muffin dough was
transferred to a Finnish Pan and came out dark and heavy.

I think I can tell you why that happened Meryl. Both the Finnish Pan and
the regular bread pan of the ZO ABM have contact areas on the bottom of the
pans which the thermal sensors contact. To control the heat properly, the
pan has to be put in the machine correctly. If the Finnish Pan is not put
into the baking chamber with the two vertical lines to the front, the
sensor will not contact the base of the pan and the temperature will be too
high. As a result, you will get dark, over baked bread, not at all like
what you got when the same recipe was baked in the bread pan.

Try using the Finnish Pan again but make sure that the two vertical lines
are facing toward the front of the machine and that the pan is seated
fully. I am sure you will find that the English muffin loaf and all your
other recipes will bake perfectly and not have any holes from the kneading
hardware. We have sold hundreds of the Finnish Pans to customers many of
whom have reordered them as a low cost gift for friends and family members.

Ronald Ploude would like a recipe for low carbohydrate bread.

This story and recipe is about as low a carbohydrate bread as can be made!
When I was in Pennsylvania in April, my son Bruce made a great
bread that had a light colored crunchy crust. He put the
ingredients into his Zoji S-15 and set it to the dough cycle. He
removed the dough at the end of the cycle, shaped it, slashed
the top and sprinkled a little flour over it. Then he set it to
rise until it had doubled in volume and baked it in a 450 degree
oven (with a pan of water on the bottom shelf) for 25 minutes.
The bread was light in color, had a good taste and an amazingly
crunchy crust. To add to the wonder of it, the bread has low
salt, no sugar and no fat (other than that which is part of the
flour). Contrary to our popular conception that yeast needs
sugar to feed on, it is capable of converting some of the
carbohydrate in the flour to its needs. Bruce was kind enough to
give me his recipe and I have worked on it to be able to get the
same results in the Zoji without having to turn on an oven
during the summer. I will give you the recipe both ways so you
can take your choice. He calls the loaf Peasant Bread. I call it
Bruce's Bread, in his honor. Here it is:

BRUCE'S BREAD

Flour       3 cups
salt        1/4 tsp
sugar       NONE
oil         NONE
SAF Yeast   2 tsp
water       9 ozs
gluten*     1 Tbs
CT-1 *      1 tsp (dough conditioner)

The last two ingredients are necessary to get a light, high
rising loaf if baking is completed in the Zoji. The addition of these two
ingredients will allow baking the bread on the quick cycle! Reduce the
yeast to 1-1/2 tsp if you want to use the regular or delayed cycle.

The dough is quite soft. If you chose to bake it in the
oven, you may want to add a little flour to make it easier to handle.

Oven baking is 450 degrees for 25 minutes. A pan of water on the bottom
shelf will insure a crispy crust.

Larry Ziegler described a loaf of bread that rose too high and overflowed
the bread pan. His comments indicated that he may have had too much yeast.

Strangely, the amount of yeast is not a big factor in how high breads rise!
Shortly after we started using Zojis for our Rehab Program, one of our
clients made a loaf of bread that almost ate Cleveland! The recipe was for
a Challah, which is a traditional Jewish egg bread. The recipe came from
Donna German's Bread Machine Cookbook and was listed in a chapter called
"Dough Cycle". Challah is a very high rising, light, airy bread. A one
pound loaf is almost too large to bake in the Zoji bread pan. The dough
should be shaped and baked in an oven. The person who made this near
legendary loaf did us all a great service. We learned that the bread pan
cannot be rated in terms of weight! I consider unfortunate that so many
manufacturers of bread machines claim to have a two pound or some other
number of pounds machine. The bread machines have baking pans of fixed
volume. The recipes determine how heavy a loaf can fit into a given volume.
For example, the Zoji S-15A is rated as being 1-1/2+ p
ounds in some books. We regularly make a 2-1/4 pound, 100% whole wheat loaf
in it. Is it a problem, not at all. Whole grain breads don't rise as much
as breads made from lighter, refined flour. The loaf comes to the top of
the bread pan (or Finnish Pan) and is very light for a whole wheat bread.

Before using a new recipe, it is a good idea to make a smaller loaf (2 cups
of flour) before making a 3 cup recipe. Overflowing dough can be a real
problem to clean up. It is much easier to avoid the job.

                                        Irwin/Delta Rehab/Using Zojis

                                        Irwin/Delta Rehab/Using Zojis