Asiago Cheese Bread (updated)

bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us (Bonnie Briscoe)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:14:59 -0500
v096.n030.15
Here is an updated version of the Asiago Cheese Bread I posted to this list
several months ago. The original version had an egg but no oil; I like the
flavor of this version better.  I have also recently tried replacing 1 cup
of the bread flour with Gold-n-White flour, which has all the wheat germ of
whole wheat flour but not the bran.  (I added 1 tablespoon of gluten flour
along with the Gold-n-White.)  This flour added another layer of flavor to
the bread which I liked very much.

ASIAGO CHEESE BREAD

        9 ounces water
        2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
        1-1/4 teaspoons salt
        1 tablespoon sugar
        3 ounces finely shredded Asiago cheese (1 cup lightly packed)
        1 ounce shredded Romano or Parmesan (generous 1/3 cup)
        1/2 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
        1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
        2-3/4 cups bread flour or unbleached flour
        2 teaspoons active dry yeast

        Place all ingredients in pan of bread machine in order listed, or
in the order recommended for your machine. (I usually toss the grated
cheese with the cornmeal before adding it to the pan, to decrease
clumping.) Set controls for Basic bread with medium crust and start
machine. Makes one 1.5-pound loaf.
        NOTE: This bread makes wonderful garlic toast. After cutting it,
spray very lightly with olive oil from your EcoPump, then sprinkle
generously with granulated garlic powder. Toast in oven until as brown as
you like it.
        (The rainforest-friendly EcoPump is a spray bottle that you fill
half-way with oil, then pump in air using the special top--like a bicycle
pump--so you get the benefits of a fine aerosol mist without any chemicals.
If you can't find one where you live, contact California Olive Oil Corp.,
134 Canal Street, Salem, MA 01970  Tel. 508-745-7840; Fax 508-744-3492.
I'm not related to this company in any way--but I have three EcoPumps and
use them every day.)

Bonnie Briscoe

Bonnie Briscoe                   internet: bbriscoe@infolink.morris.mn.us
Briscoe & Associates -- Editorial Services & Training Program Development
500 East Third St.                                    phone: 320-589-1258
Morris, MN, USA 56267                                   fax: 320-589-1754
        Language is all that separates us from the lower animals--
                        and from the bureaucrats.