Intro, questions and a recipe

donna@mfslater.demon.co.uk (donna Slater)
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:54:31 GMT
v096.n031.10
Hi Everyone

Some of you may remember me from a while ago when I was on this list.  My
surname was then Webster, but I have recently got married.  I left the list
as all my computer equipment was stolen last year and I have only recently
been able to get back on line.

As my computer and all the backup disks were taken I lost all the great
recipes I'd been collecting, and so I'm starting over again collecting all
the wonderful recipes which you send in.

When I was previously on the list I did not have a bread machine.  If you
recall, I asked for recommendations on which machine to buy and was given
some good advice.  As I could not find the Zojirushie in England I was given
the Panasonic Breadbaker as a wedding present (the size that makes the 1 lb
loaf).  I have been really pleased with the machine and the bread it
produces.  I used to make bread by hand, but I just don't have time to do
this now and so the machine is wonderful.

I have a few questions which I wonder if people on the list can help with:-

1.  Does anyone know where I can find gluten flour or vital gluten in the UK?
 I have tried health food stores near me, but have had no success at all.

2.  Can anyone please tell me what cream of wheat is?  In the Bread Machine
Cookbook by Donna German, there is a recipe for chocolate cream of wheat
bread, but I cannot find out what cream of wheat is and it does not appear to
be available here in the UK.

3.  Could someone please explain exactly what a zip lock bag is?  I've seen
them mentioned a lot on this list but again have never come across them in
the UK.

Now here is a recipe for any chocoholics out there to try.  It is definitely
not a recipe for anyone on a diet but is very good.  It is taken from the
book which came with the Panasonic bread machine.

Chocolate Bread.

0.5 tsp yeast
5.5 oz wholewheat/wholemeal flour
5.5 oz Strong white flour
1 tbsp powdered dry milk
0.5 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt (I reduced this to 0.5 tsp)
5 oz chocolate spread
4 oz chocolate chips
230 ml water.

Place all ingredients into the bread machine in the order directed by the
manufacturer.  Bake on wholewheat/sweet cycle.

Hope you enjoy this!

Thanks to everyone who provides such good information on this list, I really
do enjoy reading it.

With best wishes to you all.

--
Donna Slater